Friday 4 September 2009

Meditation Classes

Today, I went along to a meditation class for the first time. In order to get my head straight and my thought processes working more positively for me, to aid my recovery and progression, I decided that it was something I should consider doing. It was slightly nerve-wracking when I arrived and walked into the little room, to be greeted by the faces of seven older ladies. Yes, I was the only man there. The instructor was a nice guy, although he did have a lisp, which meant that when he said I should 'see my breath' I initially thought he was asking me to 'see my breasts' (a very different vision, and quite awkward seeing as I am a man. I wouldn't have wanted to see the breasts of anyone else in the room either).

The first class lasted an hour and involved a discussion about what meditation is and how it can help you to relax in your thought processes and increase the positive feelings from within. We tried two meditations, of about 10 minutes each. The first involved relaxing the body completely and concentrating the mind on the breathing (seeing your breath come in and go out). The second meditation involved the same thing, but this time seeing white light (positive) coming in with the in breath and black smoke (bad vibes) going out. I found it quite easy to get relaxed - my body went numb - but it was quite difficult to get control of my mind completely, to stop other thoughts coming in and interrupting. We were told that, as with most things, this will become natural as we get practiced at it.

So, I am intending to practice this at home alongside my daily NLP methods (positive re-framing) and I will be going back next week to learn some other meditation techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment